New President Spotlight - Jeremy Hansford
Welcome to the sixth edition of the Nlets Representative Spotlight, where we highlight the incredible work that Nlets Representatives are doing.
Today, meet Jeremy Hansford, Chief Technology Officer and FBI CJIS Systems Officer for the Ohio State Highway Patrol, and the newly elected Nlets President! Jeremy has been employed by Ohio State Highway Patrol for over 16 years, where he has served in various technical capacities, including Network Technician, Ohio FBI CJIS Information Security Officer (ISO), Information Technology Manager, as well as his current role.
Mr. Hansford has been an Nlets Representative for ten years – his experience actually began while he was serving as a proxy for the Ohio Representative at our Annual Business Meeting in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- Q: How would you describe your role as an Nlets Representative to someone who didn’t know what that was?
- A: I start by explaining the functionality Nlets provides by using an out-of-state traffic stop scenario to detail the information flow from the officer’s computer and back. Then, I explain Nlets is a not-for-profit corporation that was founded by and funded by the states. Once I have framed what Nlets is and does, I explain my responsibilities as the Ohio Representative.
- Q: What have been some of the highlights and difficulties you’ve encountered while serving as an Nlets Representative?
- A: Serving as Nlets Representative has been a highlight of my career. I’ve learned more from counterparts and the Nlets team during my time as an Nlets Representative than I could have in a career of working only within my state. The company is agile, the staff is talented, and it's exciting to have the opportunity to positively impact officer and public safety on a national scale. The most difficult part of the role is devoting ample time to all responsibilities. As we are asked to do more with less, it becomes more challenging to dedicate the deserved attention to all people and commitments.
- Q: What has been a particularly impactful experience you’ve had working with Nlets?
- A: Serving as a committee member, a committee chair, an officer, and on the Board have provided opportunities for growth as a person and leader. I am thankful for the experience as an Nlets Representative, which has allowed me to learn so much about the corporation and international criminal justice information sharing.
- Q: What is one word you would use to describe Nlets and why?
- Quality - the people, service, support, and products are of the highest caliber. I have always been impressed by the success and accomplishments of the Nlets team.